Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bulk Loading: TempFilePath security question

I've got a program written that runs on one computer and performs bulk
updates to a SQL Server 2000 table on a different computer. I also
need transactional behavior, so I have to specify a value for
TempFilePath on my SQLXMLBulkLoad3Class object.
I do not have permissions to create folders, files, or interact in any
way with the computer hosting SQL server. This means that the value of
TempFilePath must be a UNC path that can be written to by the
application performing bulk loads, and (at a minimum) read from by the
computer hosting SQL server.
I'd like to make access to this UNC path as restricted as possible. I
am using SQL authentication, not Windows authentication.
How can I tell what ID will try from the SQL Server computer to read
from the TempFilePath?
How much permission will this ID need in the directory? Read only?
Read/write?If you do this with a connection using standard SQL login, then the thread
that is running the query will be using the account that the SQL Server
service runs under to access the file share.
Matt Neerincx [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.
<isbat1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1128017182.904592.4100@.z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I've got a program written that runs on one computer and performs bulk
> updates to a SQL Server 2000 table on a different computer. I also
> need transactional behavior, so I have to specify a value for
> TempFilePath on my SQLXMLBulkLoad3Class object.
> I do not have permissions to create folders, files, or interact in any
> way with the computer hosting SQL server. This means that the value of
> TempFilePath must be a UNC path that can be written to by the
> application performing bulk loads, and (at a minimum) read from by the
> computer hosting SQL server.
> I'd like to make access to this UNC path as restricted as possible. I
> am using SQL authentication, not Windows authentication.
> How can I tell what ID will try from the SQL Server computer to read
> from the TempFilePath?
> How much permission will this ID need in the directory? Read only?
> Read/write?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment