Tuesday, March 27, 2012

bulk load change in 2005?

I have a dts package that does some bulk load operations without a problem in 2000. When trying to convert them to SISS or trying to run the same dts package against the a copy of the database (in 2000 mode) running on a 2005 server I get Bulk load data conversion errors (truncation) for row xxxx....

Has the bulk load process changed in 2005?

My Sproc is using a bulk insert command with a fmt file..

Even when you are using SSIS for this; I think this question is better asked in the databse engine forum...|||

Daveko wrote:

Has the bulk load process changed in 2005?

Yes, there have been certain changes in the bulk load that may cause seemingly fine SQL Server 2000 scenarios to fail when they run against SQL Server 2005: the engine now enforces stricter data purity checks and additional physical consistency checks for the input data streams both in BCP and BULK INSERT/OPENROWSET.|||

Is there any way to relax those checks? I was under the assumption that running a database in 2000 mode would allow backward compatibility. I am under a huge time crunch now, and at this point my only contingency plan is to keep a 2000 server up for this specific database.

Any assistance would be appreciated..

|||Unfortunately, there is no 'officially' documented way of relaxing those checks. Please contact CSS - they might be able to assist you.|||

What is CSS?

I have cleaned up my data and got the import to run successfully.

|||CSS stands for Customer Service and Support. It used to be called PSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment