Tuesday, March 27, 2012

bulk load data from table to table

Hi,
Is there a way to bulk load data from table to table other than using DTS?
Thanks,
YanivNot really; you can get some benefits of minimal logging using the SELECT
INTO syntax if your database is set to the right recovery level, but that
won't work if your table already exists so is not really a good solution in
many (most?) cases. Is there a specific problem you're trying to solve? If
so, please share some more information about what you're trying to
accomplish. Perhaps we can help you work around the issue.
Adam Machanic
Pro SQL Server 2005, available now
http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=457
--
"Yaniv" <yanive@.rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:OSA8tVe7FHA.1020@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Is there a way to bulk load data from table to table other than using DTS?
>
> Thanks,
> Yaniv
>|||the destination tables exist. I have used DTS succesfully to acomplish my
task but I would have prefered to cary this operation from within one script
from query analyzer.
I have made some modifications to the database schema on my testing
enviroment which I now need to apply to the production server. I did it as
follow: I scripted the new db schema, I created a new db using that script,
disabled all constraints and triggers and then used DTS to import the data.
"Adam Machanic" <amachanic@.hotmail._removetoemail_.com> wrote in message
news:%23t$Tghe7FHA.4076@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Not really; you can get some benefits of minimal logging using the SELECT
> INTO syntax if your database is set to the right recovery level, but that
> won't work if your table already exists so is not really a good solution
> in many (most?) cases. Is there a specific problem you're trying to
> solve? If so, please share some more information about what you're trying
> to accomplish. Perhaps we can help you work around the issue.
>
> --
> Adam Machanic
> Pro SQL Server 2005, available now
> http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=457
> --
>
> "Yaniv" <yanive@.rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OSA8tVe7FHA.1020@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>|||You can bulk copy from DTS, from the DOS command sheell, or you can also use
the BULK INSERT .. statement.
If you are wanting to bulk load a large amount of data into a development or
test system, then consider using DTS to extract the data from production to
a tab delimited text file. The benefit of this is that the test data can be
purged and re-loaded multiple times without re-querying the production
system again. It also insures insures that you are testing against a static
set of data.
[url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/incbulkload.mspx[/u
rl]
[url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/reskit/part10/c3761.mspx[/ur
l]
"Yaniv" <yanive@.rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:eS8GPpe7FHA.472@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> the destination tables exist. I have used DTS succesfully to acomplish my
> task but I would have prefered to cary this operation from within one
> script from query analyzer.
> I have made some modifications to the database schema on my testing
> enviroment which I now need to apply to the production server. I did it as
> follow: I scripted the new db schema, I created a new db using that
> script, disabled all constraints and triggers and then used DTS to import
> the data.
>
> --
> "Adam Machanic" <amachanic@.hotmail._removetoemail_.com> wrote in message
> news:%23t$Tghe7FHA.4076@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment