Friday, February 24, 2012

BULK INSERT

Question: All of my developers (2000) use DTS to load data. However, I just
had the web admin come to me and want to set up a user that would be able to
be BULK ADMIN and load using BULK INSERT statements.
I'm a little afraid of that because BULK INSERT can read anywhere on the
drive(s), right? So someone could figure out a way to look at most files on
the drive(s), right?
Actually, I can't think of any files (other than the mdf's) that have
sensitive data. So is this really a big security concern?
Any insight would be much appreciated...
Hi
You may want to do this of a batch job and just do it at a scheduled
(off-peak!) time. Then all the user would have to do is upload the file and
they don't even have to know where it sent!!!
John
"CLM" <CLM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A41C37B0-4A99-47BD-A4E2-4E01C3B38D61@.microsoft.com...
> Question: All of my developers (2000) use DTS to load data. However, I
> just
> had the web admin come to me and want to set up a user that would be able
> to
> be BULK ADMIN and load using BULK INSERT statements.
> I'm a little afraid of that because BULK INSERT can read anywhere on the
> drive(s), right? So someone could figure out a way to look at most files
> on
> the drive(s), right?
> Actually, I can't think of any files (other than the mdf's) that have
> sensitive data. So is this really a big security concern?
> Any insight would be much appreciated...

No comments:

Post a Comment