Saturday, February 25, 2012

BULK INSERT & DIRTY BUFFERS

Hi all

Using SQL 2000 MSDE

I'm bulk inserting about 3.200.000 records into a table

unfortunately all memory dissapears and never returns the dirty buffers count goes up to 48000 approx.

any ideas on how to rectify this ..... ?sqlserver is designed to take up as much as memory and only releases it back if the system needs it. If you must, restarting sqlserver will force the release.
Normally, I wouldn't want to pump that much data into the db in one shot. Rather, I would do it in batches. Please take a look at -b option of bcp or ROWS_PER_BATCH of bulk insert.|||Thanks for that
I have already figured out that restarting the service will do the trick .....
but it is a live database with many users .... (they will not thank me for doing such things)
thanks anyway ... i'll keep searching

No comments:

Post a Comment